Making “Game of Thrones” dishes was a good way to channel some creative ways to take pictures…so here’s another round of delicious Game of Thrones-inspired food…this time it’s dessert! Fans of the show and books will definitely recognize it as Sansa Stark’s favorite food…and I must note that for someone that doesn’t bake very much, I was very happy with how these delicious lemon cakes turned out!
Sansa Stark’s Lemon Cakes
I followed this recipe, but made the following changes
- Reduced flour to 2 cups
- Added 3/4 package of lemon pudding mix
- Reduced sugar to 2 cups
- Whole milk instead of buttermilk
- Only 2 T of lemon juice (because that was all I had left)
- No lemon zest
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 2 tbs. lemon zest
- 3/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 lemons, thinly sliced and seeded
*Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.*
- Cut the lemons into thin slices and remove any seeds.
- Pour 1 cup of water and 1 cup of sugar into a saucepan and add lemons. Boil for 15 min
- Meanwhile, mix all dry ingredients into a large mixing bowls
- Beat sugar, eggs, and butter in a separate bowl
- Slowly add dry ingredients and milk and continue to beat until mixed thoroughly
- Remove the now candied lemon slices from heat and put 1 slice in the bottom of each cupcake tin
- Put a scoop of the batter on top
- Bake at 350 for 15 min or until toothpick comes out clean
- Once cooled, remove and flip over! Poke a few holes and pour a bit of the leftover lemon syrup over the cakes.
I wanted to add a little more to it, so I decided to do a whipped cream topping. I followed this recipe:
http://thepioneerwoman.com/food-and-friends/4-ways-to-make-whipped-cream/, using white sugar and adding a tablespoon of the lemon pudding mix.
These were so delicious! And the other great thing – the lemon slices are edible (and taste like candy!)