It’s a bit cliche, but you don’t realize how many minutes you’ve squandered away in your life until you have kids. I have had this thought many times when trying to figure out how to balance work, cooking, and taking care of a baby. And now that he’s older, entertaining a toddler.
This easy crock pot recipe does requires some chopping, so I’ve named it a Monday night recipe so that after a (hopefully) relaxing weekend, this meal can be prepped Sunday night. Yay for more time to spend with your family after work!
- 2 lbs chicken, cut into bite size pieces
- 1 zucchini, cut into larger bite size pieces
- 1 carrot, chopped
- ½ onion, chopped
- 3-4 celery stalks, chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 6 baby red potatoes (or equivalent) cut into bite size pieces
- 1 can chicken broth
- 1 can stewed tomatoes
- 1 T oregano
- 1 T basil
- 1 tsp paprika
- ¼ tsp crushed cayenne pepper (to taste)
- Optional: 4 oz Crimini Mushroom
- Parmesan cheese
Do all of your chopping on Sunday night. Place chicken, veggies, and potatoes in separate containers and put in the refrigerator. Cover the potatoes with water so they don’t turn brown.
Monday morning, throw everything into the crock pot (minus the Parmesan cheese) and set to low. Cook or 8-10 hours. You may want to wait to add the zucchini and mushrooms until the last hour so that they don’t get mushy. Serve topped with Parmesan cheese.